Monday, July 29, 2013

Food as Art


I've become obsessed with making the most amazing, perfect looking vegan jelly mold.  I have not succeeded yet.  The photos are in the order in which the molds were made.  The first two photos are of molds that did not contain enough agar agar to set properly and I accidentally made ice by leaving them in the freezer for too long.  The molds in the next two photos are from my second batch and I was determined that my vegan jelly would set... and it did.  I made a form of rubber.  In the third photo you can see what happens when you pull a mold too soon; the fruit falls out and there are little pockets that aren't set up yet so everything breaks or gets dropped.  Yep, that mold was dropped.  I also took a bite of that one and the flavor was fine, but the texture was awful.  Photo number four is the most success I had yesterday.  The jelly had enough time to set up, however, it will bounce if it hits the floor so I won't be eating that.  I will be doing a photo shoot with it in better light though now that I have located my camera.  I followed the ratio of agar agar to liquid in this recipe with the first batch of jelly I made, but I suspect where the ingredients list calls for teaspoons of agar agar powder, it should be tablespoons.  When I used this amount of water to powder, nothing jelled.  So, the next experiment in vegan jelly molding will involve almost 1 tablespoon of agar agar per 1 cup of liquid.  Photo 3 is my favorite and Mr. Husband is very uncomfortable in the presence of molded jelly.

xoxo,
hoping for a jiggle,
b

**Update: 1 teaspoon of agar powder is equal to 1 tablespoon of agar flakes.  I guess I have flakes, but I really thought it was powder.**

No comments:

Post a Comment