Friday, January 28, 2011

Curbly Adventure (Pt.2)

Hmmm...  I believe I left off with a sketch.  Well, from my sketches and my decision to go "all out", I came up with the idea of FREE KITTENS.  I just thought it would make a funny light up sign.  Who has that in a permanent format?  How many kittens do you have?  Why didn't you just write it on a piece of paper and do you really have kittens?


I decided on a font and set to enlarging it.  I made it as big as my program would allow and I tried the site listed in the tutorial (BlockPosters.com) that is supposed to enlarge an image and maintain the scale while still working on a regular printer, but that didn't really work for me.  I just went to the copier and started enlarging. 

A few days later I went out to get supplies.  Obviously masonite (easy to find at Lowes or Home Depot) was one of my first purchases and I think it was within 1/8" of the depth recommended, but that's fine.  The sheet was also larger than what I needed, but they can cut it down there and it wasn't that expensive.  I also bought spray paint and made sure that I got a brand that would adhere to plastic (I painted rain boots for a Halloween costume and didn't do this.  The result was bad.) because the outer area of my sign was going to be vinyl.  Also, I found the perfect lights at Target for $8.99 a box (after all, it was December).  They no longer have those lights.  It was only a seasonal item.  i have found very similar sets on Amazon and Ebay, but they cost more.

It's going well!  I have supplies and I'm excited, but there's a snag... I see vinyl roof flashing on the Home Depot website, but I can't find it in the store.  I can't find it anywhere and it's a little expensive by the role.  What I didn't realize until it was too late is that vinyl flashing is only available on the Home Depot website and there really isn't an easily accessible supply of it around here otherwise.  So, damn because I didn't know this until the time was ticking away.  The result?  I used aluminum flashing.  I wasn't able to find a large diameter dowel at a home improvement store either, but there were lots of those at Michael's.

Considering that I had yet to find out about the vinyl flashing, I was still good... BUT, for how long?

Little Glaciers:

No comments:

Post a Comment