Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Curbly Adventure (Part 1 of several and I won't know how many until I'm done writing)

I was walking through the Murphy Building and I saw a flyer for a charity show.  The show was calling for sign related work.  The Sign Show is a January event that benefits a local shelter.  This was great because I didn't know what to do next and I like signs.  I like old signs and signs that light up.

I found this

If you read the article and tutorial on Design Sponge, and then scroll to the comments... everyone is excited.  I was excited too.  You wouldn't be able to guess how hard it is to find instructions for building channel letters.  Either it's a 'lost' art or it's never been done by hand and I don't actually know what to be looking for.  Anyway, I have no factory equipment just access to a wood shop and some hand tools.  I printed the directions and decided to go all out by making an entire sign instead of just one letter.  It looks great right?  It sounds easy too... but was it?


I will leave you with this (see above); the super ecstatic and naive scribbles in my sketch book upon starting this project.  The original source of This tutorial can be found here, but I'll talk about it later.

And finally, I think a glacier layer would be vanilla mint flavored.

No comments:

Post a Comment